Monday, October 17, 2011

Day #1 of the 'Five Days of Free Tools'


Today starts the first day of 'Five Days of Free Tools'.

This is where I have compiled a (small) list of programs that could easily be used by the inexperienced to the novice computer user to help maintain security and performance on their personal computer.

So, the toolset for today is.... HOME DEFENSE
Everyone should have a good defense in place.  If you don't have a defense, your offensive tactics will never get a chance to unfold.  I have for you today two tools which should help you to obtain a stable computer system while not weighing your computer down with large corporate level security and keeping your pocket book closed.




Tool #1 in Toolset #1 - Antivirus - AVG Free Edition

- I have been using this application for as long as I can remember.  Other than when I bought my first laptop (and it came with a pre-paid copy of another antivirus program called Trend Micro PC Cillin) I've never put any paid antivirus program on my personal computers.
- I want you to understand clearly though, using Free Software helps keep your pocket book intact but while you go the free route with AVG you can still get viruses.  AVG helps protect Computer Nerds (like myself, obviously) who can fix their own computer if anything happens, as well as the cautious user who never strays far from their favorite social networking site or email.  Purchasing an 'Internet Security Suite' is not entirely expensive and has some great benefits to help those users for example who have youngsters who may fall victim to the falsely advertised 'Download this to fix your computer' and then they plead later 'I was only trying to help.."





Tool #2 in Toolset #1 - Firewall - Comodo Personal Firewall
- I have been using this program for probably close to four years and just by how thorough it was the first time (albeit annoying sometimes too) I've never been able to stop using it.  This program once installed will be in a 'learning' mode.  If will monitor all traffic running through your computer to and from the internet (whether its visible like browsing the Internet, or a rogue program like malware or viruses).
- While it is learning mode it is the most annoying... But well worth it!  It will constantly be coming up with alerts stating that new applications are attempting to access the internet or portions of the hard drive that are typically unnecessary to access and asks your permission before it allows the activity to continue.  Installing this tool can be great to shutdown a rogue program if your system is already infected but also a great way to be alerted the second anything is 'out of the ordinary'.

---

I hope you have enjoyed the First of 5 Toolsets that I will be providing on a daily basis this week.  Tomorrow's toolset is for: Hardware Testing

~KHaleTech

No comments:

Post a Comment